Google Search

Custom Search

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Needed Space..working in square canvas/ panel

I've read so much recently...just really getting into the grit of my undergraduate college career as an artist and have really been moved by the concept that the process of art making is as simple as addition and subtraction.  Its mark making and the rendering of my subconscious and worldly issues, experiences, and thoughts on panel.  Its the window into my life, my soul.  I've decided that here on out I will work in square format.  It removed the automatic decision of my audience that my work should be horizontal or vertical.  I am really working at allowing the viewer to feel as though he or she can reach into or walk into the window of my mind.  I've been moved by the work of Hyunmee Lee and Jean-Michele Basquiat, hence the square format and mark making aspect and the freedom to make marks in an almost childish way and resort to works and phrases also.  I feel as though I am really growing as an artist, and as a result of the meditative experience, I am growing as an individual.  My REALM series has really been growing, or should I say, evolving and becoming stronger in my effort to put myself in my work. 


"Realm 3 (Premature Autopsy)
D.LAMAR 2011
48" x 48"